Thursday, February 9, 2017

Snow Day Beer

Got up this morning to find some mild accumulation. Actually considered going in to work (whether or not my co-workers believe me).

(They don't.)


Watched News 12 and promptly changed my mind.

Looks like it's a day of reading and movies for us!  But, of paramount importance, is the need to select a great, snow day beer!

Though I love hops, stouts and porters get my vote on days like today.  The heavier mouthfeel (heheh) makes it feel like you're drinking a meal and the higher ABV load that usually accompanies the styles of porters and stouts I like (Imperial all the way, baby!) has an extremely pleasant, warming, nap-inducing  effect.

Greenport Harbor Brewing Company's Black Duck Porter is an awesome brew but, at 4.7% ABV is a bit... light... for my purposes.  (Besides, I'm setting it aside for a friend.)  DuClaw's Sweet Baby Jesus (currently Jackie's favorite) does better at 6.2% but is also a bit too sweet for my tastes.

Waddling into my cellar, I sift through my collection bypassing Black Ops (of which I have too many) and Southampton RIS (of which I have too few).  There are also other, big-hitting beers that are potential dance partners:  Firestone Walker Sucuba, Parabola, various Anniversary Ales) but the one that catches my eye is Bourbon County's Barleywine.



Never you mind that they're bought out by A-B, you preening craft beer hipsters!  Their shit still tastes great!

This is the 2014 vintage and, at 12.3% ABV, should straddle the line of just smacking me around and knocking-me-the-fuck-out.

I don't think I've had a barleywine in years but I do remember with some fondess the toffee and deep raisin-like notes.

(tasting notes to follow)



It's days like today that make keeping a beer cellar, even a small one, a great idea.  Not only can you periodically dip into it and sample how a particular beer has evolved over the months (or even years) but you'll always have a little stash for when foul weather hits.

Forget the bread, milk and eggs!  Make sure your shelves are loaded with enough stouts, big porters and barleywines to see you through!

No comments:

Post a Comment