Saturday, October 15, 2016

Patchogue Chili and Chowder Fest

Imagine Alive After Five but without the assholey Yo-Bros.

The usual preponderance of food trucks (which were killing it, by the way), family-friendly activities (bouncy house, face-painting, balloon animals and parade) and slew of festival tchotchke booths (candles, jewelry, financial institutions, cigar dude).  Beautiful day, to boot.

Basically, you show up and buy tickets from the Chamber of Commerce booth.  $10 for 20 chili/chowder tickets.  Another $10 for the beer tasting tickets (about 10).  At first, I thought there was no way I would be getting my money's worth.  But after hitting several joints on the west end of Main, I was already feeling bloated. (So much so that, at the end of the day, I gave away the remainder of my tickets to some friendly-looking folks).

Also, I hate pumpkin beers so I should have passed on the tasting ticket.  Everything (and The Rock means everything) was some pumpkin derivative.  Well, with the exception of a cider offering which I don't dig either.  The point is, if you're NOT into pumpkin beers, skip the beer option (words I thought I would never utter).

Upon purchasing said tickets you are also given a pamphlet indicating which restos are participating, which have chowder, which have chili (which have both) and which have beer offerings.

We started at the Tap Room.  You go in and give the bartender your food ticket (and beer ticket) and she brings you both.  This seems to be how it worked throughout: enter an establishment (a smart strategy as you felt compelled to linger, maybe have an app or a full-sized beer and, at the very least, were introduced to the interior of a place you may not have visited before) in order to get your sample.

I was skeptical at the onset but the samples are more than sufficient for you to form an reasonable opinion about the chili or chowder and, after maybe 6 or 8, you are feeling quite full.

All the offerings were good.  Few were standouts. That Meetball Place's chowder and Del Fuego's chili won for me.

Overall, a good time.  BUT... there were some negatives.

Some places ran out of chili and / or chowder.  Cheese Patch was one. A SINGLE CROCKPOT OF CHILI?  When you know that hundreds (if not a couple of thousand) people may be descending upon your little' burg?  As the kids say these days, "Really?"

Public House 49.  What. The. Fuck?

TWO bartenders on.  Yes, it was a busy day but NO your joint was not particularly crowded.  I waited at the south end of the bar with my pals for one of you to come by and fill the tasting glasses but it seemed like you were more focused on the customers who were paying full boat.  Understandable but really uncool.  I mean, how long does it take to fill a measly 3 oz. tasting glass?  Or to bring us some chili?

One bartender (forced to interact IMO) said more chili was coming out.  A tray shortly made an appearance with only two sample cups. TWO. (Did you run  out also?) Which were given to patrons at the north end of the bar.  We got he feeling the south end was being ignored.    A group of 6 or so, weary from being ignored, left.  We soon followed suit.  Jon Taffer would be aghast.

In a nutshell:

If you're a patron:

GO.  Skip the drink tickets unless you're really into pumpkin beers or are just getting into the craft beer scene.  If you're not into craft or if you ARE into craft but don't like pumpkins (like me), skip it.

Go early.  Hit the places quickly.  It seems that they run out and, as the day winds on, the lines get long.  Plan on tasting what you want then settle in for a few pints and your favorite resto.

If you're a restaurant:

DO. NOT. RUN. OUT. OF CHILI.
Do not ignore festival goers.
Manage your lines.

I'll be back next year.  But no beer tickets for me.  And I may skip Public 49 altogether.





No comments:

Post a Comment