Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Lent

I gave up beer for Lent.

Not just beer but all alcohol because, knowing me, if I specifically gave up just beer, I'd be drinking Manhattans and Knob neat all night long.  And that kinda defeats the purpose of the purge.

Bryce from Medford Swiftway mentioned he knew someone who, once a year, would quit drinking for a month just to prove he could.  I don't think it was during Lent but the principles of sacrifice and proving that you are your own master still hold true.  At least they do for me.  And so here I am, reasonably dry.

I say "reasonably" because the Catholic church, in it's wisdom, allows us to partake on Sundays.  So really, it's just not boozing for 6 days which I've given up and that's a pretty good idea anyway.  But enough moralizing.  On to how this pertains to beer!

On my first free Sunday, Mrs. Zombie and I went to Southampton Publick House for lunch.  There I had an Espresso Cream Stout which, to my rejuvenated taste buds, seemed rather thin.  Perhaps it's just the style I wasn't into at the moment so my next beer was their Burton IPA.  I had been craving an IPA (surprise, surprise) all week long!

But this beer seemed monstrously floral.  Almost perfume-like in both smell and taste!  Much too overpowering and not at all how I remembered it.  The last time I had it, the Burton seemed more muted and minerally and dry as an English-style IPA might be.  Could my rested buds be more acute? Are they delivering more accurate sensations?

Later that night, I dove into a bunch of Sculpin.  The beer was delicious but this time I seemed to be picking up more in the aftertaste.  I want to say "mango" or "passion fruit" but then I'd have to slap myself for being one of "Those Guys".  To go out with a bang and prep myself for the dry week to come, I closed my session with a Palate Wrecker.  No nuance to speak of in this hop-bomb, which was just fine with me!

The bottom line:

Giving your taste buds a break seems to be a good thing to do now and then.  It helps you appreciate what you're drinking more and makes you pay attention to the subtleties; whether real or perceived doesn't matter.  That you're more into your drink, does.

And, it's nice to give the ol' liver a breather as well.

See you Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment